Shelburne is a town in Dufferin County, Ontario. Located at the intersection of Hwy 10 and Hwy 89. Shelburne hosts the Annual Canadian Championship Old Time Fiddling Contest that is held each August.
In the early 1860s, the founder of the town Shelburne, William Jelly , found his way through the bushes to choice lots in Melancthon and built several cabins in the area.
As Melancthon began developing in the late 1840s, the construction of the Toronto-Sydenham Road (now Hwy 10) began and led to settlers moving into the Shelburne area in the 1860s. In 1865, William Jelly established the British Canadian Hotel. A post office was built shortly after, named after the Earl of Shelburne. Rapid economic growth followed and the population increased from 70 villagers in 1869 to 750 villagers in 1877, due to the new railways that were built. Shelburne was incorporated as a town in 1877.